Friday 29 June 2012
The Opel Rekord Series B was a large family car introduced in August 1965, by Opel as a replacement for the Opel Rekord Series A. The Rekord B shared the wheelbase and 1696mm width of its predecessor, but the front and rear panels were restyles in order effectively to differentiate the new model. The big news was under the bonnet/hood, however.
Previous Rekords were noteworthy for combining eye-catching new bodies with a robust four cylinder engine that dated back to 1937. By the 1960s the old engine was perceived as outdated in terms of refinement and sophistication, and with the Rekord B it was replaced. Unlike previous Rekords, the Rekord B featured completely new four cylinder engines, now with a camshaft integrated into the cylinder head. The units were still not conventional ohc engines since the camshaft was physically located lower than the tops of the cylinder valves. The configuration had been developed by General Motors in Detroit and was known as the Camshaft in Head (CIH) configuration. The new engines gave the Rekord B a useful performance boost across a range of four cylinder engines which now came in three different sizes, and allowed for the possibility of increased torque, especially as the engine was developed further during the later 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.
The Rekord B was the first Opel Rekord to offer, on the 1900 S version, the option of fully automatic transmission.
Production ended after less than a year in July 1966 ahead of the annual summer plant shut-down.
- engine: 4 cylinders
- capacity: 1897 cc
- horsepower: 90 HP
- gearbox: 4+1
- top speed: 170 km/h