Peugeot 504

Thursday 19 September 2013
The Peugeot 504 is a large family car manufactured by French automaker Peugeot between 1968 and 1983, with licensed production continuing until 2006.
Peugeot's flagship, the 504 made its public debut on 12 September 1968 at the Paris Salon. The press launch which had been scheduled for June 1968 was at the last minute deferred by three months, and production got off to a similarly delayed start because of the political and industrial disruption which exploded across France in May 1968.
The 504 was a sunroof-equipped four-door saloon, introduced with a carbureted 1,796 cc four-cylinder petrol engine 79 bhp (59 kW; 80 PS) with optional fuel injection. A column-mounted four-speed manual transmission was standard; a three-speed ZF 3HP12 automatic available as an upgrade.
The 504 was European Car of the Year in 1969, praised for its styling, quality, chassis, ride, visibility, strong engine and refinement.
The 504 Injection two-door coupé and two-door cabriolet were introduced at the Salon de Geneva in March 1969. The engine produced the same 97 bhp (72 kW; 98 PS) of output as in the fuel-injected saloon, but the final drive ratio was slightly revised to give a slightly higher road speed of 20.6 mph (33.2 km/h) at 1,000 rpm.
The 504 received a new four-cylinder 1971 cc engine, rated at 96 bhp (72 kW; 97 PS) (carburated) and 104 bhp (78 kW; 105 PS) (fuel-injected), and a four-cylinder 2112 cc diesel rated at 65 bhp (48 kW; 66 PS). The 1796 cc engine remained available.
In September 1970 an estate was added, featuring a higher rear roof, lengthened wheel base and solid rear axle with four coil springs. It was joined by the 7-seat "Familiale", which had all its occupants facing forward in three rows of seats.
The car was rear-wheel drive, with longitudinally mounted engines, canted over to bring a lower bonnet line to the styling. Manual or Automatic transmission was offered. The suspension system consisted of MacPherson struts and coil springs at the front and with either semi-trailing arms with coil springs or coil springs and live axle at the rear. The station wagon and pickup versions were available with a live axle. The car used disc brakes at the front, and either disc brakes or drum brakes at the rear, depending on the model. The steering was a rack and pinion system. Huge suspension travel, and great strength, meant that the 504 was suited to rough road conditions, and the car proved extremely reliable in conditions found in Africa, Asia, Australia and the like.
The Peugeot 504 was widely available with diesel engines and an automatic transmission option, which was a rare combination at the time. Engines were of the Indenor design and included 1948 cc, 2112 cc, and a 2304 cc. The Indenor engine was also used in the Peugeot 403, Peugeot 404, Peugeot 505, Peugeot 604, Peugeot J7, Peugeot J9, Peugeot P4, Ford Sierra, Ford Granada, Talbot Tagora, Mahindra Jeep, Leyland Daf 400, Cournil 4x4, UMM 4x4, UMM 4x4 Cournil, Belgian-assembled Scaldia-Volga M21,M22, M24D (GAZ-21, GAZ-24) and for marine application.
There were two petrol engines available in Europe, a 1796 cc and 1971 cc. The latter was also available with Kugelfischer mechanical fuel injection, first available on the earlier Peugeot 404. Gearboxes were either the BA7, four-speed manual or ZF three-speed automatic. Later pickup trucks in Europe gained a fifth gear. Export market vehicles had different variations available.
Starting 1980, a sporty version of the 504 was available, it had a 1997 cc engine rated at 128 hp (95 kW) and mated to the BA 7/4 gearbox. It had a live axle and adjustable suspension. Very few were produced.

Technical data:
- engine: 4 cylinders
- capacity: 1796 cc
- horsepower: 97 HP
- gearbox: 4+1
- top speed: 150 km/h

Brak komentarzy: