Wednesday 27 January 2016
The Moskvitch-2140 series is small family car produced by the Soviet automotive maker AZLK from 1976 to 1988. It started first as Moskvitch-2138 and Moskvitch-2140 with the modified M-412 platform, designed and released for the Soviet market in January 1976. Starting in 1981, the modification of the M-2140 export/luxury model was also designed and branded "2140 SL" in the Eastern Bloc countries and "1500 SL" outside. The most notable differences between the two models were redesigned dashboard and front seat headrests.
Starting in 1982, the M-2138 models were discontinued and the M-2140 became the only Moskvitch cars available in all markets. It was face-lifted the same year: the shield logo was changed to feature "АЗЛК" (AZLK) written in metallic outline, the grille coating switched from metal to plastic, and both side mirrors were slightly redesigned to be less heavy. The station wagon variant M-2137 was the last of Soviet cars to still feature taillight fins to accommodate gate opening, until the model was discontinued in 1985.
Although originally designed and often referenced to as the "fourth generation", the series was, in fact, only an enhancement over the actual third generation of Moskvitches, the M-408/412. The brand-new fourth generation entered in production with the Aleko starting in 1986, when both series shared the assembly line for over two years, until the M-2140 was eventually discontinued in July 1988.
- engine: 4 cylinders
- capacity: 1480 cc
- horsepower: 75 HP
- gearbox: 4+1
- top speed: 140 km/h